Friday, July 29, 2011

Creature designing

I just bout this book off ebay. And I cant wait for it to come.
One thing Id absolutely love to be is a character/creature concept artist. Though at the moment I have a LOT to learn and a LOT to improve on.
But theres nothing wrong with having a dream :)


I loved the world and creature designs in Avatar. That would have been so much fun doing them!And I love the beautiful storybook looking worlds in Legends of the Guardians.
One thing I really like is anatomically correct animals but they have humanistic expressions. Just like the owls in Legends of the Guardians... ahh they were beautiful! So real yet they had such human qualities in them.. I love the armor and weapons designed for them too.. I would have loved to have worked on that film.. *dreams*

I have one fairly developed creature design that I call a 'runedog'.
Here is a character sheet I made for them - (click to see it bigger)


He is being massively redesigned at the moment to be more 'realistic'. I originally wanted this character to be tall and slim, he somehow turned into this cute chubby thing.
Here's a sketch of what I have of his new look so far -


Im much rather liking this new design.
One thing I know I have to improve on is anatomy and more dynamic poses. I want my character to have a little life of the screen, and bland standing poses dont help with that...
Im hoping I might get some ideas and be inspired by Terryls book. I already love her work.. itll be great to have this book to always look upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment